Sunday, May 3, 2009

So far...

I wanted a place to write specifically about the different athletics that I've been doing. I never really considered myself an athlete until recently, and that was only because a good friend of mine pointed out how impressed he was at all of the activities i do.

This is what i am currently doing:

Pilates reformer class once/week (Mondays at 7pm)
Vinyasa Yoga class once/week (Thursdays at 7pm)
Couch to 5K running program 3x/week
One Hundred pushups challenge 3x/week

Joe and i are training for a 5k which is on June 21 to prepare us for a sprint triathlon we're doing in Williamsburg on Sept 13. We still need to register though...

I am currently about 5 weeks into the current pilates and yoga classes, and i'm on week 2 of Couch to 5k. we started the one hundred pushup thing a few weeks ago, but fell off of it, so today was day 1.

So, today's report: I've got a nasty cold but knew i had to run today to stay on schedule. It was drizzling out, i felt crappy, but Joe and I still went out and did the Couch to 5k week 2 run. He's a faster runner than me so we don't really run together, but we try and do at least our warm up and cool down together, plus stretching. I actually felt better when i got back. I've learned to really love running.

Then, we did the first day of the push-up challenge, and it was pretty easy for me. I think i've gotten better with the chatarunga prep we've been doing in yoga.

Yoga class on thursday was very inspiring for me. I had a bad week at work and was stressed out and felt very off. I wasn't looking forward to class and had thought about skipping it. but, i made myself go and after warming up on the bike (only 3 miles) got to class. it was amazing. We did a new salutation series (Earth Salutation) which was incredibly grounding. by the time we got to our balance poses (we did one legged big toe hold) i was able to do them! i'm standing there, balanced on one leg with the other one in the air off to my side, and i'm thinking "if i can do this, my life must be pretty balanced after all!" it lead to a great weekend. My challenges in yoga: Chaturunga is the first one i'd like to be able to do. its basically the opposite of plank: in plank you hold yourself in the "up" pushup position, but in Chaturunga, you hold yourself in the down position, with your elbows tucked in against your sides.

Also, i try and get in some time on the bike at the gym to work up those muscles for when we actually start training for that part of the triathlon... we don't actually own bikes yet.

My schedule for this week:
Monday: Pilates (if i get there early, bike)
Tuesday: Morning run
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Morning run, Yoga in the evening (biking if i get there early
Friday: Off
Saturday: either off, or start week 3 of running
Sunday: either off, or start week 3 of running

eventually i'd like to try and get one or two more days of yoga in on my own but i find it hard to stick to something when i don't have a class or race to motivate me.

Update: I just registered myself for the triathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment