Thursday, July 2, 2009

An off week, but a great run and an awesome compliment

So... I missed swimming again on Monday. Again, I got all the way there only to realize that I didn't have the key to lock my bike up. So, I went for an extended ride home and logged 9 miles, which isn't too bad.

Tuesday, I went for a run. This was week 8 day 3 of my Couch to 5k program. It felt great! For the first time I was able to think about things other than the typical "OMG my legs hurt/I can't breathe/why am I doing this?!" and felt like I finished the run with a clearer head. Its a big transition, where it stops being exercise and starts being almost meditative. I also managed to shave off 30 seconds from my total time from my front door, following the same path, back to the front door. it usually takes me 40something minutes (its 3.1 miles total, but I walk for 5 minutes, then run 28, then walk the rest). So i went from 40:38 to 40:10. And I felt it when I was running, I got just a little bit farther.

Wednesday: I purposfully skipped swimming. To be honest, I just didn't feel like going. Instead, we did some shopping and cleaning (which was much needed!!) and then I did a pilates mat work-out video. I already knew I didn't like mat as much as I love the reformer, but I need to make sure I'm getting in at least one core workout a week. I also need to add some resistance training as well, but one thing at a time! I can't miss any more swimming workouts though.

Today: Maybe I'll get out of work early and go for a run. We have a friend coming in from out of town, so I'm missing yoga. And there is the weekend ahead of me that will not be diet friendly! But thats OK: a holiday weekend is not going to ruin me.

Happy news: I connected, via facebook, with a guy I had a huge crush on in middle school. (I was embarassingly pathetic, but who wasn't back then!) Anyway, he complimented me on how athletic I am and how good I look, and said I should keep up the good work! Seriously, this is the best part of Facebook. He's right, I have come a long way from my days back in Bethlehem, and my passport photo shows it! The old one was taken in 1999 (my junior year of HS) and the new one was taken last summer. I'll have to find a full body picture at some point so you can REALLY see the difference. I'm very proud of myself! I am slowly considering myself to be athletic, which is a big shift for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment