Thursday, June 25, 2009

Competition runs strong...

So, I just completed Week 8, Day 1 of the couch to 5k program, which was a 28 minute run. Since I worked out pretty hard yesterday I decided not to push it and stick with the program, and I'm glad I did. It actually felt really good to run. I think I actually enjoyed it. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of fireflies that were out!

One of my husband's best friends is rooting on me for this triathlon and playing up the competition between Joe and I. This is the nature of their friendship. Sometimes I try and trick myself into believing that this friend actually is cheering for me rather than just cheering against Joe. Of course, its all in fun and I know that deep down he really does support both of us :-D Anyway, in the spirit of competition, he posted these quotes on our respective facebooks:

On Joe's: Here is an inspirational quote from Lao Tzu to think about while training:"Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

On mine: Here is an inspirational quote from Vince Lombardi to think about while training: “A person can be as great as they want to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.”

Thanks, Dave! You've made it into my blog, congratulations! (the picture is from 2007 of Dave, myself and Joe in Atlantic City outside the Casbah... we're rockin', can you tell?)

In actuality, Joe is not really training for the triathlon. He hasn't withdrawn yet, however we got the prognosis for his shoulder injury: he broke his clavicle about a centimeter from the joint. So, he can't swim or bike and he has to take it easy when he runs - keeping it to a jog since you use your arms a lot when you run faster than that. He goes back to see the doc in August, and he'll have about a month before the race to train in swimming and biking if the doc clears him. Its a bummer, but we're just grateful he doesn't need surgery or physical therapy or anything like that.

Tomorrow is sort of a rest day, however I'm going to bike to the metro, head over to a friend's place, and we're going to wander around in DC for a while and get dinner at the Pita Pit! Look out Chicken Souvlaki Pita...

No comments:

Post a Comment