Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pacing Myself? Whodathunk?

So, I finished my week 6 couch to 5k training on Monday. I'm a little behind but since I'm not feeling the pressure of the 5k I'm running on Sunday the 21st since I was already behind anyway. But, this session was a straight 25 minute run without stopping. Considering how hard the last day was, I decided that it didn't matter how slow I went or how far I got, but that I would not stop running. I think possibly I could have walked faster at some points, but I did it! I paced myself, and kept an eye on my heart rate monitor so I didn't get up too high.

Week 7 (which starts today) are all 25 minute runs. So I should be used to it by the end of the week, and it just happens that the 5K falls on one of my training days (assuming I get in my runs today and friday), so rather than competing, I think I'm just going to do my 25 minutes (plus the 5 minute warm up and cool down) and not really worry too much about my time. My focus is on the Triathlon, this was just a "training goal". I missed it by a bit, but its helped keep me working at it which is what is really important.

In other triathlon related news, I finally bought a bike! Its nothing fancy, cost me around $300 bucks (I had him put on a kickstand and a water bottle thingy plus I had to get a lock for it) Its only got 7 speeds, and its a hybrid rather than a road bike. I figure I'm not a serious racer. I might do one race a year. Otherwise, I'd be riding my bike around town, and on some trails probably. So I didn't want to shell out big bucks for a bike with features I wasn't going to use. I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods and was able to walk out of there with this bike. I tried a couple others: one that had shocks in the front, but that felt really unstable to me. As we get closer to the race I'll probably add a few more things (maybe a different seat, some kind of bag or basket of some kind, a patch kit, etc). Also, I still need to figure out what I'm going to wear, but those are all issues for a different paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment