Thursday, June 25, 2009

First swimming class

So, I actually made it to class this time! The bike ride was a little easier and a little faster, also, although when I took it up to the 7th gear (the highest) it didn't seem to catch. So I'll have to check that out. Otherwise, the ride there went well.

My class is at the rec center closest to my house (about 3 miles away). I've taken classes at two others in the area, and I have to say this one is the nicest. The locker rooms smell the least like pee than the others, and the pool was just really nice, too. They have all levels of diving boards and a platform which is cool: I was there a little early and got to watch some of the divers.

I really hate my swimming cap: I have one of the cheap latex ones and I think I need to go and get one of the better silicone ones. I did get paid today....

My instructor (didn't catch his name, blast me for being shy) is this nice looking, early 20-something guy, he's patient (he had been teaching a kids class prior to mine) and explained things well. I guess Monday's classes are more instruction where as Wednesdays are more of a straight work out. This class there were 4 of us. This is what he had us do:

Warm Up
75 Freestyle
75 Backstroke

Work-Out
3 x 150 Freestyle (the middle 50 of each was a drill: fingertip drag (when your arms come out of the water, you walk your fingers on top of the water up to the top), hand catch-up (the back hand comes up to meet the front hand before the power stroke) , and kicks (apparently, I was kicking too big and too much from my knees)
3 x 150 Backstroke (drills: thumb up pinky in (thumb comes out of the water and the arm twists to put the pinky in the water), hips up (basically tilting your pelvis and contracting the abs so your torso stays on top of the water... Thanks Pilates!!!) , and kicks (again, my knees were too bent and my kicks too deep. when I tried to correct though I gave myself some leg cramps... oops)

I actually did more like, 3 X (150 freestyle, 150 back) and I accidentally did and extra 50 free.

2 x 200 Free
2 x 100 Back

I only did 1 x of each because I ran out of time

Cool Down
3 x 50 your choice with a 15-20 second rest (I only did 50 Breaststroke)

In total, I swam 1450m, which is about .9 miles. not too shabby.

Then, I did the 3 miles biking back home. Which went OK except it was pretty dark out which made me nervous. But yesterday was a beautiful day!! So it felt really good to ride home.

Things I need to remember for next time:

-Get a new swim cap
-bring a water bottle in with me - its easy to forget to stay hydrated when swimming
-get a flasher thingy for my backpack/back of my bike for riding at night
-get a horn/bell for my bike
-find out cute instructor's name
-bring underwear and a bra to wear on the ride home. Not that riding in my swimsuit was bad and really, I should get used to it since I'll be riding in it for the triathlon, but still.
-wear HRM.

No comments:

Post a Comment